Baked Apple Pie Recipe
Are you in the mood for something sweet, delicious, and comforting? If so, look no further than this amazing apple pie recipe! Made with a light and flaky crust, juicy apples, and plenty of cinnamon-sugar topping, it’s perfect for any special occasion or simply to enjoy as an after-dinner treat. Not only is it easy to make but also packed full of flavor that will tantalize your taste buds. Ready to give it a try? Let’s get baking!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1¼ c. vegetable shortening
- 7-12 T. ice-cold water
- 6 c. peeled and sliced apples
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- Place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Note: To make a deep dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 12-13 inch diameter.