We are excited to share our recipe for Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons! This soup is an easy and healthy way to spice up your weeknight dinner. We recommend making a triple batch so you can freeze some for later, too.
- Ripe yellow tomatoes, approximately 2 pounds
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, washed and patted dry, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters.
- 2 stalks celery, washed and cut into chunks
- 2 large (or 3 small) cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream, room temperature or slightly warmed
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 2 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 3 oz. Brie cheese, crust removed, cut into thin slices
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 300°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Slice yellow tomatoes ½-inch thick and place on the prepared baking sheet. Leave room between slices to prevent over-crowding. Sprinkle with garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and roast approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are nicely browned around the edges.
- Remove crust from sourdough bread and cut each slice into 4 equal-sized rectangles. Brush one side with melted butter and place buttered side down on a grill pan set over medium heat. Toast just until browned grill marks appear. Remove from heat and flip each piece of sourdough over so the grill marks are facing up. Top each piece of bread with some of the sliced Brie. Set aside.
- When the tomatoes are done roasting, remove them from the oven and cool slightly. Transfer roasted tomatoes to a high-powered blender or food processor, along with broth, basil, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and heavy cream. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cover and blend on high until the roasted vegetables are smooth and thoroughly combined. (Make sure the lid is properly vented to prevent the hot liquid from exploding). Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If desired, add additional chicken or vegetable stock, one tablespoon at a time, and re-blend to achieve desired consistency.
- Right before serving, adjust the top oven rack to the second-highest position and set the oven broiler to high. Place grill pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the Brie is soft and just starting to melt. (Watch carefully so the Brie doesn’t melt completely).
- To serve, transfer the soup into individual serving bowls and top each bowl with a grilled cheese crouton and a sprig of fresh basil. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 708mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 16g